Have a special someone you’d like to swoon this Valentine’s Day? Looking for a good excuse to send a loved one something thoughtful? Here’s my list of the top seven Des Moines ways to impress that special person in your life this February 14th.
1) Purchase a card from Ephemera. Keep it simple and send a card from Ephemera to someone you card about! Trust me, nothing will say, “You’re quite swell,” “I care about you,” or even, “I love you” better than a card from Ephemera. The cards they carry are made of quality materials, well designed and even catchy. While you’re in their shop you can pick up some locally designed jewelry, candles or even a cute pillow! While looking through their great selection of cards, I came across this little gem (pictured on the right) that literally made me laugh out loud.
2) Send Cubbie to your Valentine. Although the Iowa Cubs aren’t in season, Cubbie Bear will be hard at work this Valentine’s Day. Surprise your special someone with a delivery from Cubbie Bear himself! Cubbie will play cupid on Friday, Feb. 11 and Monday, Feb. 14 for those in the Des Moines Metro Area! For only $75.00, he’ll deliver a dozen roses, a personalized note and two tickets to a game during the 2011 season to your sweetie. Contact Melanie at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (515) 280-2651 to arrange a delivery.
3) Give your Valentine a Drake University Choir singing Valentine. Send a musical message to show someone you care this Valentine’s Day. The Drake University Choir will serenade someone of your choice – best friend, boss, grandma, spouse, significant other, ect – for a small fee, which will help fund the choir’s European Tour. Choose from one of three different packages:
- True Romance for $25: A song and a single romantic rose.
- Cupid’s Favorite for $40: A song and six of the finest roses.
- Hopeless Romantic for $60: A song and a full dozen roses.
Students will deliver the singing valentines from 10:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Monday, February 14. For complete information, go to: www.drake.edu/valentines. The deadline for order submission is February 8, 2011.
4) Send warm, chocolate chip cookies from Tank Goodness. Theses delicious Tank Goodness cookies might not last longer than flowers (simply because they are scrumptious), but at least they’ll taste a lot better. Send your sweetie something that can be shared with those around them! For only $20 per dozen, these cookies will warm your loved one’s heart and fill their stomach. Tip: make sure that you order some ice-cold milk to go with their cookies!
5) Swoon them at a romantic dinner at Blank Park Zoo. Treat your date to “Wild at Heart,” a dinner at Blank Park Zoo where you’ll dine on a three-course meal while enjoying tropical scenery including a rainforest with exotic birds and a waterfall. The “Wild at Heart” dinners will be held on February 12 at 6:00 and 8:00 p.m. and February 13 at 4:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. While you sip on a glass of wine or champagne you’ll enjoy bruschetta, a choice of cedar planked salmon, petite 6 oz. filet or a double stuffed pork chop with garlic mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables followed by chocolate pate for dessert. The cost for this dining experience is $50 per person. Call (515) 287-0848 for reservations!
6) Buy this special offer and SAVE MONEY, while impressing your date. Need I say more than $40 worth of Boesen the Florist’s flowers, $50 to Cosi Cucina and $10 to Heart of Iowa Marketplace all for only $50. Yes, $50 for $100 worth of goods! But hurry, there are only around 20 of these deals left and you must purchase this deal by 2/5 to receive the certificates in time for Valentine’s Day!
7) Create your own personalized jewelry to share. Don’t just buy jewelry for your loved one…create jewelry with them! At “Be Mine: Wine and Design Experience” you can showcase your creative side with the help of artist Rachel Sims, of Studio Fuzzishu, who will teach couples how to saw, file, stamp and solder custom silver rings at Fitch Gallery. There will even be a photo booth from Joe’s Photo Booth to snap shots of you and your hunny. After the jewelry making session, the couple will also receive filled cupcakes from Carefree Patisserie and a private group tasting and tour of Jasper Winery! The workshops will be on Friday, Feb. 11th at 2:00 p.m and 5:00 p.m, Saturday, Feb. 12 and Sunday, Feb. 13 at 10:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. and Monday, Feb. 14 at 2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. Each session is limited to six couples and is $135 per couple. Contact Rachel Sims at: email@example.com or (515) 402-8143 by Feb. 10 to make your reservation.