From singing mummies to a past American Idol contestant, the 2011 Nitefall on the River series has music for just about everyone. From the beginning of May until the end of July a wide range of different acts will perform as a part of Nitefall on the River, a yearly concert series at the Simon Estes Riverfront Amphitheater. Nitefall on the River provides concertgoers a relaxing evening along the river, a beautiful backdrop of the Des Moines skyline and an array of talented musicians.
After going to a few different Nitefall on the River concerts last year, I’ve learned a few things about attending the shows. Here are my tips for maximizing your concert experience:
- Before getting to the show, check out the musical acts website, download a few of their songs and get to know the band – you’ll feel more connected and you might even find yourself humming along to the beats or requesting your favorite song.
- While there aren’t many “bad spots” at the Amphitheater, I’d go early and stake your claim on a nice spot. Whether you’re rocking a lawn chair or a blanket, you’ll want to have your options open.
- It can get pretty hot at the concerts before the sun goes down and a little chilly after the sun sets, so make sure that you wear layers and pack a sweatshirt, just in case. Bonus tip: If you’re going to enjoy an ice-cold beverage at the show pack a koozie too!
- Food and beverages are available at the show. Food options include: BBQ, Hot Dogs, Gyros/Pita from $3 – $6 each and beverages include: Fat Tire, Skinny Dip, Ranger, Coors Light, Mikes Hard Lemonade ($5 each) and water, Pepsi products for $2 each. Cash and major credit cards can be used to buy concert tickets at the door and drink tickets, but you’ll have to bring cash to purchase food.
- Even though children 10 and under are free with a paid adult, that doesn’t mean that you should invite all of the children you know. Last year I (unfortunately) sat next to a clan of small children – it didn’t seem like a good time for either the parents or the children.
- To save some time and a few bucks order your tickets in advance by visiting Midwestix.com or by calling (515) 244-2771. If you want to wait until the day of the show you can still purchase tickets at the door with cash or credit card.
- If it happens to rain the day of the show, don’t worry because there are two different rain locations available – People’s Court and the Val Air Ballroom. Check the Des Moines Register’s website and the Nitefall on the River Facebook page for these updates.
- Make sure you follow @nitefalldsm on Twitter and like Nitefall on the River on Facebook to get the most up-to-date information and the inside scoop on free ticket giveaways.
Take advantage of the nice weather, bring a lawn chair, blankets, bug spray, sunglasses, some cash and enjoy the 2011 Nitefall on the River concert line-up:
- Wednesday, May 4 – Slightly Stoopid w/ The Meat Puppets
- Thursday, May 5 – Here Come the Mummies w/ Shelly Fairchild
- Friday, June 3 – Hairball (Doors at 7PM)
- Thursday, June 9 – Big Head Todd w/ Toots & Maytals
- Monday, June 20 – Natasha Bedingfield w/ Kate Voegele & Andy Grammer
- Thursday, June 23 – Christina Perri – (Tickets on Sale: 5/6 @ 10am)
- Friday, June 24 – The Nadas
- Thursday, June 30 – Toad the Wet Sprocket
- Friday, July 1 – Umphrey’s McGee (Doors at 7PM)
- Wednesday, July 6 – Matisyahu w/ The Wailers
- Friday, July 8 – Yonder Mountain String Band (Doors at 7:30PM)
- Thursday, July 7 – Gin Blossoms
- Thursday, July 21 – Lee DeWyze
- Thursday, July 28 – Keller Williams