Love is in the air…until you realize it’s February 12 and you don’t have plans for Valentine’s Day. What to do, what to do? By now it might be hard to get a nice dinner reservation, so skip the fancy dinner and take your special someone out for a date night in Des Moines! From painting, to ice skating, to karaoke – here are eight unique date ideas for Valentine’s Day in Des Moines.
- Go ice skating at Brenton Skating Plaza – Bundle up with a date and go ice skating at the Brenton Skating Plaza. The view of downtown Des Moines is beautiful from the rink and the cold weather will be a good excuse to keep each other warm! Only $6/person for skating and $3.50/person for skates. If you’re heading to the rink after dinner, there’s a live DJ after 8:00 p.m.
- Watch a movie at The Fleur Cinema – The Fleur Cinema is a gem of a theater in Des Moines. Take a date to watch one of the following flicks on Friday (2/14): The Monuments Men, Dallas Buyers Club, or Her. Bonus points: grab a glass of wine or beer from the Fleur Cafe and enjoy an adult beverage while watching the movie of your choice!
- Sing karaoke at Billy Joe’s – Serenage your partner with a cheesy love song like “Can you feel the love tonight?” or “Have I told you lately?” during Friday night karaoke at Billy Joe’s. The singing starts at 9:00 p.m.
- Sample wine, cheese and chocolate at The Cheese Shop – Partake in a special Valentine’s Day menu featuring cheese and chocolate fondue at The Cheese Shop of Des Moines. The kitchen will be open late for lovers until 8:00 p.m.
- Paint a masterpiece at The Social Canvas – Paint the “love tree” while sipping on wine or beer at The Social Canvas. The class starts at 6:00 p.m. and is only $35/person. Register for the class here.
- Get your game on at Up-Down – Get your game on with your date at Up-Down in the East Village. Nothing says love like competition. Bonus points: the first 100 people to make a bar purchase at Up-Down on Friday night will receive 10 free tokens.
- Create silver rings at Studio Fuzzishü – Create a Valentine’s Day keepsake with your sweetie at Studio Fuzzishü. Saw, file, stamp and solder silver rings together with the help of Rachel Sims, the owner and jeweler behind Studio Fizzishu. Sessions are available Thursday, Feb. 13 – Sunday, Feb. 16 for $115 per couple. Call Rachel at (515) 402-8143 to reserve your spot.
- Indulge in wine, beer and cupcakes at Jasper Winery – Head to Jasper Winery on Saturday, Feb. 15 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. for their “Wine, Beer and Cupcakes Pairing Flight.” For $15/person you’ll pair two Jasper Winery wines and two Madhouse beers with four delicious cupcakes from Cache Bake Shoppe. No reservations needed, but it’s a first-come, first served event!