“We’ve been waiting seven years for this moment that marks a change for Des Moines,” said Zachary Mannheimer, Des Moines Social Club executive director. “We now have a space to create whatever we want, play however we wish, and push the envelope.”
The Des Moines Social Club will celebrate its grand opening on Saturday, May 10 from 5:00 – 9:00 p.m. at their new permanent location – the downtown Firehouse – 900 Mulberry Street in Des Moines. The event is free and will be followed by an after party.
The new space features classrooms, the Kum & Go Theater, Malo (I’m very excited about this new restaurant!), Capes Kafé, an outdoor courtyard, the Viaduct Gallery and more. Check out the interactive floor plan here.
“Des Moines now has a home focused on supporting and developing our robust local talent,” said Mannheimer. “There are so many people that made this happen. It belongs to everyone and is for everyone. We look forward to everyone coming to the Firehouse to see how Des Moines has changed.”
Stop by the Social Club on Saturday and get your fix of:
- The new space – all three levels and two buildings!
- Class demonstrations – Everything from comic book drawing to break dancing.
- Interactive art installations.
- Food from Malo (taste samples of their menu and drinks available for purchase) and the Spot Food Truck.
- The future home of the basement bar.
- The view from the Rooftop Patio.
- Public art and the opportunity to paint on a large-scale collaborative mural.
- Capes Kafé – downtown Des Moines’ first comic and coffee shop.
- Performances by Maxilla Blue, Tires, Repertory Theater of Iowa, Run DSM, Iowa School of Burlesque and more!
- And a keynote address by David Byrne.
“Establishing a space focused on our robust local arts scene will cement our cities cultural standing nationally,” said Mannheimer. “In addition, we will see over the years the significant economic impact locally.”
It’s no secret that the Des Moines Social Club is a place where everyone in the community can come together to learn more about theater, art, music, cooking, dance and more. From the art galleries to trivia night – there’s something for everyone at the Des Moines Social Club.
Photo credit: the photo above was taken from the @dmsocialclub Instagram account.