Looking for something to do on Valentine’s Day? You’re not alone! While Des Moines has a ton of really great restaurants where you could wine and dine your partner, why not get a little creative? I’ve put together a list of 9 unique ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day in Des Moines. Some are during the day, some are at night, but they are all sure to surprise and please your sweetheart!
- Hearts Against Humanity (a Valentine party for horrible people) – Turn Valentine’s Day upside down and celebrate with the Des Moines Social Club while: competing in a Cards Against Humanity Competition, enjoying a buffet from Krunkwich, jiving to live music, taking cheesy photos in the photobooth, sipping bubbly and more. Tickets are $25/each or $200 for a table of 10 and the event starts at 7:00 p.m. in the Kum & Go Theater.
- The Emerald City Ball with Ballet Des Moines – Dress your best and grab the family for this “family affair,” which includes food, drink and dancing at the Renaissance Savory Hotel from 6:00 – 10:00 p.m. Tickets are $50 each or $400 for a table of 8. Each ticket to the ball also includes a ticket to the “Wizard of Oz” on April 4. Built in Valentine’s Day present? Yep!
- Comedy XPeriment – Laugh a little with your lover during a show with Des Moines’ premiere long-form improvisation team – Comedy XPeriment. Each show is unique and the performers feed off of the energy and ideas of the audience. The show is at 7:30 p.m. and tickets can be purchased here.
- Sweetheart Snowshoe Hike – Not a fan of fancy meals? Try something a little different by exploring the great outdoors with your sweetie. Take in Jester Park with a guide who will teach you how to snowshoe! A hiking lesson (including the snowshoes), bonfire and refreshments will be provided for $20/couple. Two classes will be offered that day – 1:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Register for the outdoor excursion here.
- Red Flannel Run – Burn off your Valentine’s Day dinner (before having it) at the Red Flannel Run. The choice is yours – either 3-mile or 5-mile. If you really want to go above and beyond, go for the “Ice Cupid Award,” which is awarded to the best dressed Valentine’s Day themed couple.
- FoLoLi (short for “Food, Love, Life”), Festa di Sera Rosso (meaning feast of the red evening) – Single and looking to mingle? This event is a singles event held in the private banquet room at Centro. For $45-$55 (depending on when you register), you’ll enjoy a four-course meal, which includes an arugula salad, chicken saltimbocca, cacio e pepe (pasta with cheese and pepper), and gelato affogato. Meet someone new and get your relationship questions answered by Janet Tingwald (of Ready to Find Mr. Right) who is a relationship-readiness coach. Fun fact: the food for the night is inspired by the novel, The Broken Heart Diet, by local author Tom Formaro.
- Pink in the Rink – Join the Iowa Wild as they take on the Texas Stars and support a good cause – Komen of Iowa. The first 7,500 fans will receive an Iowa Wild pink item and there will be a post-game jersey auction to support Komen of Iowa. The game starts at 7:00 p.m. and ticket prices range from $9 – $45.
- The Social Canvas – Pick up a brush and paint your valentine an original piece of artwork at The Social Canvas. For $35/person you’ll be guided through the painting for the night (you can see it here). Alcoholic beverages are available for purchase.
- Max Wellman Big Band – Tap your toes, grab a drink and take in the jazz musings of Max Wellman and his Big Band. Max just released a new album, ‘Just in Time,’ so you’ll hear some new tunes as well as some old favorites. The concert will be held in The Basement at the Des Moines Social Club – where space is limited. Max’s sweet sounds are the perfect way to end the night on a high note.